Our mission is to build and strengthen our community through education and entertainment in a geographic area that is currently not served by any local or regional mass media. We will provide media access and give a voice to a community that has previously had none by providing broadcast facilities and community involvement that generate local radio. WSOV-FM is a service of the Penns Valley Conservation Association, which serves as a steward for the Penns Creek Watershed.
WSOV-FM envisions a radio station where local history and natural resources as well as local food, business and talent will be featured through music, the spoken word, and other forms of creative expression. This will be accomplished by providing broadcast facilities and community involvement that generate local radio programming that reflects our rich Valley heritage.
WSOV Programming Guidelines
Our goal is a diverse and inviting set of programs that speaks to a wide range of listeners and perspectives within our community. We foster and nurture the arts, increase appreciation of our local history and roots, increase a sense of stewardship of local natural resources and strengthen our local economy. Subject to the discretion of the station’s programming committee, we seek to provide programming in the following areas:
- Music: Music is the glue that holds our programming together and draws our most committed listeners. We will provide live music, local music, pre-recorded music with DJ’s and interviews with musicians.
- Local: We will provide ways for community groups to make announcements regarding upcoming news and events, calendars and requests.
- Literature/Arts: We will provide a variety of spoken-word experiences, including reading and/or reviewing novels, poetry and children’s stories.
- Flora, Fauna and Farm News: We will draw on the wide range of local expertise on topics such as timely gardening tips, animal sightings, programs on environmental stewardship, energy conservation, raising healthy animals, etc.
- Local Sports & Outdoor Activities: We will cover hunting, fishing, high school sports, etc., (maybe even with play-by-play?).
- Spiritual/Philosophical: We will offer any church or religious/spiritual group or individual the opportunity to share, without proselytizing, on a variety of issues and philosophical perspectives.
- Local History and Culture: We plan to take advantage of the high school’s Penns Valley History class to build a great archive of oral histories, as well as invite our many local history experts to contribute.
- Health: We will provide fitness programs, nutrition programs, prevention and health maintenance programs.
- Miscellaneous: We will encourage civil dialogue around important community issues and topics of interest.